The Administrative Assistant, Education is responsible for assisting in the implementation of the In-School and Post-Secondary Student Support Programs, provide a range of administrative and program support services to the Education Manager. The Administrative Assistant functions within legislative requirements, regulations, policies and procedures and the Mission, Beliefs and Vision of Garden River First Nation, and contributes to the accomplishment of the strategic priorities.
• Assisting in the implementation of the In-School and Post-Secondary student support programs under the direction of the Manager of Education
• Interviewing and assisting students in applying for funding, selecting eligible courses/programs
• Acting as a liaison in basis educational matters between students, teachers, college/university, GRFN and DIANO when Post-
Secondary Counsellor and Liaison Workers are out of office
• Ongoing Interaction/Responsibilities:
o Creating and maintaining databases and updates, reminding, requesting information requirements from students and/or schools via phone, mail, email, facsimile, etc.
o Maintaining up-to-date college/university information; assisting
o Post-Secondary Counsellor and liaison Workers in their routine and/or daily tasks while they are out of the office
o Ensuring Release of Information forms are sent to appropriate schools/institutions
o Ensuring all applications, forms, etc., are up-to-date and sufficient copies are available
• Assisting in the Administration by maintaining accurate up-to-date student lists
• Receiving inquiries, relaying messages, and responding to customer service enquiries from students, Unit staff, or the public
• Assisting in organization of necessary agenda information and the preparation of reports and presentations to the manager
• At all times and in all situations, acting in accordance with the Education Unit Code of Conduct
• Performing other related duties as may be required and assigned.
• Required one-year certificate in a related field (Business Administration, Office Administration, etc.);
• Required one-year related experience;
• Related skills including data base program knowledge, data entry input skills and spreadsheet creation;
• Demonstrated sensitivity to and knowledge to the First Nation cultural values and traditions;
• Ability to use good judgment in assessing difficult situations;
• Ability to be consistent and display a positive/helpful attitude;
• Flexibility required to keep pace with an ever-changing environment;
• Stamina, sensitivity and strong negotiation and advocacy skills;
• Willingness to accept changes in work practices and technology;
• Ability to work under pressure to meet deadlines;
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team;
• Excellent organizational skills, time management skills, interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written;
• Excellent computer skills (including MS Word, Word Perfect, Excel, Internet, Email, Outlook);
• Ability to report for work as scheduled;
• Ability to attend at work regularly;
• Must undergo a criminal record check prior to employment (At Applicant Expense)
Come join a growing organization in Garden River First Nation!