The Maintenance, under the direction of the Manager, Education is responsible for maintaining the building and grounds where the Education/Recreation Centre are located. The Maintenance functions within legislative requirements, regulations, policies and procedures and the Mission, Beliefs and Vision of the Garden River First Nation, and contributes to the accomplishment of the strategic priorities.
• Performing day-to-day upkeep of the building but not limited to:
• Maintains building interior by dusting and polishing furniture, equipment, mirrors, and fixtures; washing windows, counters, walls, ceilings, and woodwork; sweeping, scrubbing, and waxing floors; cleaning and vacuuming furniture, and carpeting; restocking rest rooms; replacing light bulbs
• Removes trash by emptying trash containers; transporting materials to disposal area; recycling materials
• Maintains building exterior by cutting grass, keeping all walkways clear, maintaining lawn and removing ice/debris from walkway etc.
• Performing general building maintenance on but not limited to:
• H/VAC; Plumbing; Electrical; Lighting
• Assisting in developing and continual monitoring of operational policies and procedures to ensure the integrity of maintenance is maintained;
• Monitor, report and improve upon the health and safety aspects of the building;
• Maintaining a working schedule for all staff (if applicable) and contractors under supervision;
• Defining an inspection schedule and performing building inspections for maintenance repairs as per defined schedule;
• Reporting violations and/or unsafe situation to the manager;
• Keeps cleaning equipment operational by following manufacturer’s operating and care guidelines; completing operator repairs and parts replacement;
• Maintains parts and equipment inventory by checking stock to determine inventory level; anticipating needed parts; anticipating cleaning equipment replacement; placing orders;
• Maintains safe working environment by complying with procedures, rules, and regulations;
• Maintains continuity between shifts by documenting cleaning actions; noting areas requiring additional care or monitoring;
• Performing other related duties as may be required and assigned.
• Preferred two-year college diploma in Building Construction, Construction Engineering, and/or other related field;
• Required two years experience in a maintenance position;
• Working knowledge of maintenance practices and related equipment operations;
• Ability to work under minimal supervision;
• Ability to lift and manipulate heavy objects such as tables, chairs, furniture in a safe manner (up to 50lbs)
• Ability to prepare and maintain records and reports;
• Ability to work independently and collaboratively as a member of a team;
• Excellent organizational skills, time management skills, interpersonal and communications skills, both oral and written;
• Excellent computer skills (including MS Word, Word Perfect, Excel, Internet, Email, Outlook);
• Ability to report for work as scheduled;
• Must be willing to work various shifts;
• Must have a valid driver’s license and access to a reliable vehicle;
• Must undergo a criminal record check prior to employment (Applicant Expense)
Come join a growing organization in Garden River First Nation!